Today, I met with Ruth for the first RISE of 2019. We both filmed an English (writing) lesson with the focus on feedback. Mine was a whole class lesson, creating a learning intention and success criteria for the next step in the writing process.
The notes I took on my own lesson were as follows:
- Used lots of engaging ‘call-back’ responses with the Ss to ensure they were listening -
- Kept reminding them of work they’d already done
- Used the book & sheet as a visual prompt
- Asks Ss to repeat the q’s back
- Learning intention was clear but SC’s needed to be planned more carefully & strategically
Ruth agreed with my last point and suggested that I cut down my success criteria to be really focused and purposeful for that specific lesson. There will be 'overarching' SC's like capital letters and full stops which are important but don't need to be in the list for every lesson. She suggested that I really focus on EXACTLY what needs to be done for that particular lesson, to ensure the Ss don't become overwhelmed by the number of criteria!
My goal for the next RISE session is: To make the Success Criteria more purposeful and realistic for each particular lesson - really narrow down exactly what needs to be achieved within that lesson.