My goal is to develop writing goals with the students and provide feedback on these specific goals.
This term, I kept in mind my goal. Having marked their persuasive texts using the rubrics, Ruth and I were able to feedback to the students and their writing goals were developed. I am still new to the process and so are the students, so the goals developed were very teacher directed and used the language of the rubric.
My focus was to then provide timely feedback that was specific to the student’s goals. I found that meeting with the students after a paragraph or two was more helpful as it gave the students time to reflect, it was instant and they weren’t so heavily invested compared to writing a whole text before conferencing with the teacher.
Upon reflecting on my practice, I could see that we have grown from last term in regards to giving feedback. Focusing on one area was more effective then a whole range of skills. I found that it was very teacher directed and often I prompted the student a lot. From this, Lauren and I discussed how I could refine this process more. We talked about developing a bank of questions that both the teacher and students had access to. This would help the conferencing process and the students would not be caught off guard, they would have time to reflect on their learning and writing and come prepared as well. This would make the process more collaborative and reflective. We also discussed how I could introduce more consistently the COPs and ARMS.
Goal for next term: To develop a bank of questions to assist with providing student feedback specific to their writing goal.