During Term 2; Patrick Morrison & I worked together during R.I.S.E. I watched Patrick's Shared Reading lesson on the iPad, while Patrick came and observed the lesson. We both offered each other feedback, and suggested ways in which we could improve our teaching.
Patrick gave me feedback such as;
- Try to implement different modes (i.e. Day 1: text on TV, Day 2: Text on TV and Ss, etc)
- Good explanation of Monitoring. Had to think out loud of how I was reading.
- Great text choice with challenging vocabulary
- Questioning: Try to avoid typically hand-up and answer. Try other techniques.
- Good explanation of how to ‘attack’ new words.
After discussing feedback, we both constructed a goal in which I can aim to during the rest of the school year.
'Develop pedagogical techniques to break down ‘Hands-up’ culture’
During our conversation, we discussed the notion of students and teachers resorting to the standard 'hand-up' format of sharing ideas. With so many other ways to implement this, Patrick and I discussed possible alternatives such as;
- Pause, Bounce, Pounce
- Post-it Note (Braindump)
- Show me boards.
Reflecting on my future teaching, I believe that by putting these ideas in place, both the students and I will flourish in our teaching/learning.
Looking forward to seeing what I can do!