The two Katie's rose together during our second RISE session for 2019.
I continued on with my Term One focus of 'building students listening stamina and delivering an appropriate amount of content'. Before I taught my modeled writing lesson, I sat down and reviewed the feedback I had received from Cathy in Term 1 and the information that I had read about boys education. I carefully selected the strategies that I would utilise in my lesson, with a strong focus on how boys learn best. The following two techniques were employed in my lesson:
1. Teachers move around their classrooms as they teach: To achieve this I used both my interactive whiteboard and my portable whiteboard and moved from one to the other - directing the students attention to specific things.
2. Teacher facilitates hands-on, kinesthetic learning: This was achieved by providing the students with a small whiteboard and marker and using 'think, pair, share'.
Upon reviewing my lesson I noted the following:
- the students were more engaged compared to previous rise video - but this still requires improvement.
- using the whiteboards was a great way to involve the students in the modeled writing session.
- referring to the LI and SC needed to happen throughout.
Katie's feedback was affirming and in viewing my lesson she noted the changes I had made in the delivery of my modeled writing lesson along with the strategies I had used/put in place to build the students listening stamina. She saw that the students were engaged and listened well for throughout the lesson. Katie also offered some suggestions on how I could continue to develop my skills in delivering a modeled writing lesson such as increasing teacher talk throughout the writing process, when teacher voice is most vital.